An academician with an excellent academic background and more than 20 years of experience in teaching, research, training and advisory service. A graduate (Agriculture) and Post Graduate (Agri. Communication and Extension) from G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, he has been faculty of Indian Institute of Forest Management (IIFM), Bhopal. Before joining Development Management Institute (DMI), Patna, he served Xavier Institute of Management, Bhuabneswar (XIMB) as a faculty of Rural Management. He had done Ph.D. from Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Izatnagar. His papers have been published in journals of international repute. His areas of interests are Inclusive Value Chain, Agribusiness and Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Professor - Xavier Institute of Management, (Xavier University), Bhubaneswar (Jan, 2013 – 15th July, 2018)
- Associate Professor - Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar (Jan, 2006 – Dec, 2012)
- Assistant Professor - Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar (20th Dec, 2004 – Dec, 2005)
- Lecturer – Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal (July, 1994 – 17th Dec, 2004)
Area of Interest
- Rural Marketing Innovation, Management and Market, Agriculture and Food Marketing, Agriculture Value-Chain, Inclusive Marketing, Sustainability and Business
- Inclusive Value Chain, Agribusiness, Business and Corporate Social Responsibility
Peer Reviewed International Journal (Title ISSN / ISBN No Publisher Year):
- Kumar, N., and Kapoor, S. (2017) “Extensiveness of Farmers’ Buying Process of Agri-inputs in India: Implications for Marketing”, Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, Vol. 7, No.1, pp. 35 – 51. (An Emerald Publication)
- Kumar, N. and Kappor, S. (2017) “Do labels influence purchase decisions of food products? Study of young consumers of an emerging market ", British Food Journal, Vol. 119, No. 2, pp. 218 – 229. (An Emerald Publication)
- Kumar, N. (2016) “Finding Plausible Option for Revitalising Agricultural Higher Education in India: A Systematic Review”, Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 676 – 689. (A Taylor and Francis Publication)
- Kumar, N. and Anand, S. (2016) “The Attitude of Indian Youth Toward Nutrition: Factors, Segments, and Implications”, Journal of Food Products Marketing, Vol.22, No. 8, pp. 967-985. (A Taylor & Francis Publication).
- Kumar, N., and Kapoor S. (2015) “Does the consumers’ buying behavior differ for vegetarian and non-vegetarian food products?: Evidences from an emerging market" British Food Journal , Vol. 117, No. 8, pp. 1998 – 2016. (An Emerald Publication)
- Kapoor, S. and Kumar, N. (2015) “Fruits and Vegetables Consumers’ Behavior: implications for Organized Retailers in Emerging Markets” Journal of International Food and Agribusiness Marketing ,Vol 27, No. 3, pp. 203 – 227. (Taylor & Francis Publication)
- Kapoor, S. and Kumar, N. (2015) “Use and Contribution of Information Sources in Buying Process of Agri-inputs by Farmers in India” Journal of Agricultural & Food Information, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 134 - 150. (Taylor & Francis Publication)
- Maurya, U.K., Mishra, P., Anand, S. and Kumar, N. (2015) “Corporate identity, customer orientation and performance of SMEs: Exploring the linkages”, IIMB Management Review, Vol. 27, No.3, pp. 159 – 174 (An Elsevier Publication)
- Kumar N. and Kapoor, S, (2014) “Study of Consumers’ Behavior for Non-Vegetarian Products in Emerging Market of India” Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, (Vol. 4, No. 1, pp 59 – 77. (Emerald Publication)
- Kumar N. and Kapoor S. (2014) “ Decision-Making Choices: Prioritization Predicaments in Agribusiness” Journal of Case Research, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp 28 – 48. (XIMB Publication)
- Kumar N. and Mohapatra S. (2014) “The Case of the Frustrated Project Coordinator” Vilakshan, XIMB Journal of Management, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp 143 – 156. (XIMB Publication)
- Ganesh, S.S. and Kumar N. (2013) “Turnaround Challenges of a State-Owned Enterprise: A Case Study of Orissa Remote Sensing Application Centre, India" Asian Journal of Management Cases, Vol. 10, No.2, pp. 163 - 177. (Sage International Publication)
- Kumar, N, (2012) “Learning Contract Farming: The Banana Way”, International Journal of Rural Management, October 2011, vol. 7 no. 1-2, pp 121-131. (Sage International Publication)
- Sindhi, S. and Kumar, N. (2012) "Corporate environmental responsibility – transitional and evolving", Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal, Vol. 23 No.6, pp.640 – 657. (Emerald Publication)
- Kumar, N., Kapoor, S. and Jayalakshmi (2011) “Why are we not numero uno? “ Journal of Case Research, Vol.2, No. 1 pp 23 – 41. (XIMB Publication)
- Kumar, N., Kapoor, S. (2010) “Value Chain Analysis of Coconut in Orissa”, Agricultural Economics Research Review, Vol. 23, Conference No. pp. 411 - 418 (Agriculture Economics Research Association)
- Kumar, N., Moghe, S. (2010) “Is formal Institution Necessary for Forest Management? A Case Study from Madhya Pradesh, India”, International Journal of Development and Social Research, Vol. 1 No. 2. Pp 91 – 102 (XIMB Publication)
- Kumar, N. (2008) “A tale of Two Samitis”, Vilakshan, Vol IV, No. 2, pp 211 - 217. (XIMB Publication)
- Kumar, N. and Bakshi, S. (2002) “Making and Breaking a Community Forestry Institution: A Case Study”, Forest, Tree and Livelihood, Vol 12, No. 3, pp 165 - 174 (Taylor and Francis Publication)
- Kumar, N. (2000) “A Tryst with PRA, Journal of Extension System”, Vol 16. No. 2, pp 23 - 32. Kumar, N. (2000) “All is not green with JFM, Forest Trees and People Newsletter”, No. 42, pp 46 -51. (FAO Publication)
- Kumar N. and Kaul, P.N. (2000) “Operational Environment in a Slaughterhouse: A Macro- level Case Study”, Indian Journal of Animal Research, Vol –34, No. 1 pp 1 –4. (ARCC Publication)
- Kumar N. and Kaul P. N. (2000) “Status in Organisation: Case Study of an Abattoir”, IASSI Quarterly, Vol 19 No. 1, pp 118 - 127. (Indian Association of Social Science Institutions Publication)
Book Chapter (Title ISSN / ISBN No Publisher Year):
- Kumar, Niraj (2015) Organic Turmeric from Eastern India - healthy spice and healthy earnings' in (Editors: Malcolm Harper, John Belt, Rajeev Roy) entitled “Commercial and Inclusive Value Chain: Doing Good and Doing Well”, Practical Action Publishing, UK.
- Kumar, Niraj (2007) WAC, A Teacher’s Perspective, Chapter in Communication for Management: Teaching and Research in Indian B-Schools (Eds. Raina, R.L., and Priya, P.) Ess Ess Publication, New Delhi.
- Kumar, Niraj (1996) Human Elements in Organisation, Chapter in The Hindu Speaks on Management, pp. 173-176, Madras, Kasturi & Sons Ltd.
- Tandon, Niti and Niraj Kumar (1995) A study on Employment status and Income generating Activities of Socially Underprivileged Slum Women, Chapter in The Family In a Changing World (ed. R. C. Herdia and E. Mathias), New Delhi, Indian Social Institute.
- Online Course on “Subsistence Marketplaces” an online non-credit course authorized by University of Illinois and offered through Coursera (2016).
- Ph.D. Extension Education, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, India, Ist Div. (1998)
- M.Sc. in Agriculture Communication and Extension, G. B. Pant University of Agri. and Tech. India, 1st Div. (1992)
- B.Sc. Agri. & AH (Honours), G. B. Pant University of Agri. and Tech. India, Ist Div. (1989)
- Intermediate of Science (equivalent to +2), Bihar Intermediate Council, Ist Div. (1984)
- Matriculation (equivalent to 10th), Bihar School Examination Board, Ist Div. (1982)
International Conference (Title Conference Publisher Year):
- “International Conference on Agribusiness in Emerging Economies” held in Institute of Rural Management, Anand (5-6th January, 2016) and presented a paper entitled “Farmers’ preferences for product attributes: implications for customer-centric marketing of agri-inputs in an emerging market”.
- “International Extension Education Conference 2016 on Education, Research and Services” held in Institute of Agriculture Science, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (27-30th January, 2016) and presented a paper “Branding of Agriculture Education in India” as a lead speaker.
- Paper entitled “Farmers’ preference for product attributes: implications for customer-centric marketing of agri-inputs in an emerging market” accepted for presentation in International Conference on Responsible Marketing (23– 24th January, 2017), organized by XLRI, Jamshedpur.
Faculty Consultancy Project's
- A study of participatory forest management in Mandla District of Madhya Pradesh -National Centre for Afforestation and Eco-development Board, MoEF, GoI, New Delhi.
- Status of Corporate Social Responsibility in Mining sector in Orissa - Partners in Change, New Delhi.
- Issues and Potential of Coconut Production and Marketing in Odisha - Coconut Development Board, GoI, Kochi, India.
- Study of Consumers Behaviour for the Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian products - Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar.
- A Study of Farmers Purchase Behaviour of Agri-inputs in India - Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar.
- Food Labels- Does it Matter? A study of Indian Youth- Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar.
- Evaluation of Capacity Building Interventions of Orissa Forestry Sector Development Project (OFSDP) - Odisha Forestry Sector Development Project, A JICA sponsored project, Bhubaneswar.
- Study of status of Transgender Persons in the state of Odisha - SSEPD, Govt. of Odisha, Bhubaneswar.
- Perspective plan, Organisational Structure, and Manpower Plan for the CDA For - Chilika Development Authority (CDA), Govt. of Odisha.
- Media Strategy for Odisha Forest Department - Odisha Forestry Sector Development Project, A JICA sponsored project, Bhubaneswar.
- Internal Communication Strategy for Orissa Forest Department - Orissa Forestry Sector Support Programme, A DFID supported project.
- Development of Tools for Capacity Mapping of Facilitating NGOs for OTELP Plus - Odisha Tribal Empowerment and Livelihood Project, Bhubaneswar.
- Capacity Mapping and Shortlisting of NGOs Integrated Tribal Development Agency, ITDA, SC & ST Development department, Govt. of Odisha.
- Identifying Entry Point Knowledge Level, Developing Appropriate Test, and Conducting same for Potential Scientists and Engineers Orissa State Pollution Control Board, Govt. of Odisha.
- Perspective Planning and Organisational structure for Odisha Remote sensing and Application Centre ORSAC, Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of Odisha.