Development Management Institute (DMI) has established Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) observatory with the support of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The observatory contributes to the dignity, health and well-being of women and children in Bihar, who currently suffer the consequences of inadequate, limited or no sanitation and poor WASH services.
Mission: It is to support the WASH programme implementation in Bihar by providing timely and rapid insights, organising dissemination seminars, workshops and other such capacity building initiatives.
The following interventions are proposed under the WASH observatory:
1. Series of Competency Enhancement Programme for the state/district/block level functionaries of LSBA / SBM on the issues related to ODF Sustainability.
2. Participatory research to track processes and impact of different national/state flagship programs related to water & sanitation.
3. National/State level consultations on issues around water supply, water quality, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
To drive the WASH observatory, DMI requires a Consultant-Social Survey on an immediate basis.
Job responsibilities :
• Conduct research, monitoring and evaluation of research projects for high standard evidence building
• Plan field surveys and conduct secondary research
• Development of research design methodology /survey tools for different proposed studies independently carry out /monitor qualitative / quantitative data collection, analysis and interpretation
• Responsible for management and monitoring of datasets, data cleaning, quality data checks
• Oversee daily data collection and ensure adherence to data quality protocols, including data quality audits and frequency checks
• Able to work independently as well as collaboratively with multi-stakeholders
• Ability to use quantitative and/or qualitative software for analysis (SPSS / STATA, Atlas Ti, NVivo)
Strengthening WASH Observatory
• Work closely with project staff, government entities, and other stakeholders to design and implement projects in line with the objectives of the WASH Observatory
• Lead the development of WASH observatory related project work plans, ensuring that targets are met and project outcomes are achieved.
• Engage with other players to strengthen WASH Observatory
• Any other task as and when assigned by the WASH coordinator.
Education: PhD/ MPH/ Post Graduate in Demography/ Population Studies/ statistics/ Economics/ Anthropology/ Public Health Policy/ Development Studies, or in related social sciences from a reputed University / Institute
Experience: 4-5 years of experience in research and development in International development organisations
Required Skills :
• Good understandings about research design
• Understand both quantitative and qualitative research methods
• Design research/program protocols, tools and questionnaire
• Ability to collect, analyzes, and interprets quantitative and qualitative data
• Ability to write scientific reports and concepts/proposals
• Has good understanding of various UNICEF related programs in rural and urban areas
• Ability to manage projects and liaison with state/district level health functionaries • Language: Fluency in English and Hindi.